What are the uses of SEQUENCE function in Excel
Definition of SEQUENCE Function
SEQUENCE Function: The SEQUENCE function allows you to generate a list of sequential numbers in an array, such as 1, 2, 3, 4.
- You can Generate the numbers in 1 Row multiple Columns, 1 Column and Multiple Rows and Finally Multiple rows and Multiple Columns
- In the above examples, we have used the multiples rows and 1 Column method.
Arguments of SEQUENCE Function
- Total: 4 arguments
- 1st argument: “rows” is the 1st argument and it is a compulsory argument. Here we need to give number rows we need the sequence to be repeated.
- 2nd argument:“[columns]” is the 2nd argument and it is an optional argument. Here we need to give the number of columns. If we skip columns argument then it will take default as 1 column.
- 3rd argument:“[start]” is the 3rd argument and it is an optional argument. Here we need to give the start number. If we skip start argument then it will take default as 1 start number.
- 4th argument:“[step]” is the 4th argument and it is an optional argument. Here we need to give the step value (Step means the difference between 2 numbers). If we skip step argument then it will take default as 1 step value.
How to use the SEQUENCE Function
- As shown, above we can use SEQUENCE function to get the continuous numbers, dates and time.
- If you want to make Calendar like below you can do with SEQUENCE Function.
- In the above calendar example we used the SEQUENCE, WEEKDAY and DATE functions together created the dynamic calendar for 1 month.
- How to use: Simply user needs to input the Month number and year Number then all the dates in the calendar will get updated.
- What is the Use of Supporting Formulas: In the cell G11 we are calculating the weekday of 1st date of the requested month.
- In cell H11 if 1st date of the requested month is not a Sunday, then we are calculating what is the last Sunday date in the previous month.
- So once Sunday date is updated then simply SEQUENCE will take from there update the dates in 6 Rows and 7 Columns. We took 6 rows because 6*7=42 no month will have 42 days.
- Now your question will be we can take 5*7=35. Here we have a problem. If you look at the above example we have 1st date on Saturday then our last date in the month coming to 6th row, as we are getting a few additional dates of the previous month. So, we need to take 6 rows then it will inline.
- We can also use this SEQUENCE function to add the numbers with a certain pattern. See below example.
Excel SEQUENCE Sample Practice questions
- Get Numbers list from 1 to 100 only Even Numbers
- Get Numbers list from 1 to 100 only Odd Numbers
- Get Numbers list from 1 to 100 only which are multiple of 5
- Get Dates list from January 01, 2020, to March 31, 2020, only Sunday Dates
- Get Dates list from January 01, 2020, to March 31, 2020, only Monday Dates
To Get Answers for above questions please comment below we will provide you with the solution to your mail ID.