Introduction to Excel Sparklines
- In Excel, sparklines are one of the features available in the latest versions.
- This option is used to present the trend analysis, for any given data in a corresponding Excel cell.
- It is helpful for very small datasets, to avoid graphs.
- Below is the example, how the Sparklines look like.
How to access and use Sparklines in Excel
- In the menu bar click on the Insert tab then you can see the sparklines options. (In above example highlighted in Red)
- First, update the data (1 Row or 1 Column separate for each requirement) to a certain date range like below (For each security, prices are updated for different days).
- Then select the cells which consist data, now select the line option. (For this example the line option is used, we can use the Column & Win/Loss options as per our requirement)
- Then it will show below dialogue box.
- Now we have to select the location where we want to show our trend line, select any blank cell then click ok.
- It will give a basic trend line.
- Select the cell which has the trend line, then we will get a design tab in menu bar shown below.
In “Show” option select all the relevant points.
High & Low points option- will show the dots, for the highest and lowest points in the trend.
First & Last points option- will show the dots, for the first and last points in the trend.
Negative option- will show the dots for the negative data in the trend.
Markers option- will show all the different points in the trends for each value.
Now you can try to use the Sparklines and explore more advanced Excel options.